Skip to main content

How to fundraise safely

Do I need to complete a risk assessment?

A risk assessment will make sure you have thought about any potential risks and/or hazards and how to mitigate them. All events must be accompanied by a risk assessment.

Risk assessment: Template and examples - HSE

What do I need to know about public liability?

Make sure you check that any venues and/or suppliers have public liability insurance.

You may decide to take out your own policy depending on your event.

Do I need public liability insurance? | Simply Business UK

I'm going to be serving food and drink at my event. What do I need to know?

Please make sure you follow all the guidance on preparing, handling, and cooking food. If you are using caterers make sure they have a Food Hygiene Certificate.

If you plan to serve alcohol you will need to obtain a license from your local council.

Providing food at community and charity events | Food Standards Agency

Alcohol licensing - GOV.UK (

Do you have any guidance on photography?

Make sure you inform attendees that photos will be taken at your event and gain permission for their use.

Photo and video consent form | Yorkshire Cancer Research

Download and print a poster to display at your event:

Photography warning poster - white

Photography warning poster - blue

Do I need a designated first aider?

Some events will require a designated first aider or first aid services for emergencies.

Please note participants are responsible for ensuring they are fit and healthy to take part in your event.

Event First Aid Cover | St John Ambulance (

What safeguarding measures do I need to implement?

How do I ensure money is handled safely?

Here are some tips to help you keep safe when handling money.

  1. Have two people present when money is being handled.
  2. Deposit money as soon as possible.
  3. Use a secure container.
  4. Never leave the money unattended e.g., in a car.
  5. Use a safe route and carry a personal alarm.
  6. If you are confronted, hand the money over and call the police immediately.