Watch Exercise and Cancer content
About the film
Exercise and Cancer is a campaign by Yorkshire Cancer Research that aims to raise awareness about the benefits of exercise for people with cancer.
Our new short film explores the facts, told through the voices of national and international experts and directly through personal experiences.
Evidence shows that exercise before, during and after treatment can help improve the likelihood of survival and reduce the risk of cancer coming back.
Exercise can also help people prepare for cancer treatment and make a quicker recovery, while relieving side effects from treatment.
Despite this, just one in 20 people living with cancer in Yorkshire have taken part in a specialised exercise programme, according to our recent survey.
Worryingly, four in 10 people surveyed said they would not have taken part in a specialised exercise programme had they been offered it. The reasons for not wanting to take part were varied, including a limited awareness of benefits or a lack of confidence.
1 in 20
people living with cancer in Yorkshire have taken part in a specialised exercise programme
4 in 10
people surveyed said they would not have taken part in a specialised exercise programme had they been offered it.
Watch the film
Exercise can reduce the risk of
Cancer coming back by up to 66%
Dying of cancer by up to 44%
- increase fitness, endurance and muscle strength allowing people with cancer to access more treatments.
- alleviate common side effects, such as anxiety, depression and fatigue, helping people feel less tired and more able to focus on everyday life.
- reduce the time spent in hospital and reduce complications from surgery.
- boost mental wellbeing alongside psychological and nutritional support.
- provide peer support and the opportunity to meet others with similar cancer experiences.
With thanks to the following contributors:
Active Together participant
Chair of the MY (Mid Yorkshire) Breast Cancer Support Group
MY (Mid Yorkshire) Breast Cancer Support Group
A patient led support group welcoming all ages, living with primary or secondary breast cancer
Sports and Oncology Pilates Instructor
More about exercise and cancer
Survey: Exercise following a cancer diagnosis
We recently commissioned YouGov research to find out more about the knowledge, beliefs and experiences of people living in the region in relation to cancer and exercise.